Thursday 5 January 2012

Book Review: The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver #1) by E. Lockhart

Book : The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver #1) - E. Lockhart


Publication Date: June 24th 2009

Read from January 02 to 04, 2012

Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Humor

Ruby Oliver is 15 and has a shrink. She knows it’s unusual, but give her a break—she’s had a rough 10 days. In the past 10 days she:

lost her boyfriend (#13 on the list),

lost her best friend (Kim),

lost all her other friends (Nora, Cricket),

did something suspicious with a boy (#10),

did something advanced with a boy (#15),

had an argument with a boy (#14),

drank her first beer (someone handed it to her),

got caught by her mom (ag!),

had a panic attack (scary),

lost a lacrosse game (she’s the goalie),

failed a math test (she’ll make it up),

hurt Meghan’s feelings (even though they aren’t really friends),

became a social outcast (no one to sit with at lunch)

and had graffiti written about her in the girls’ bathroom (who knows what was in the boys’!?!).

But don’t worry—Ruby lives to tell the tale. And make more lists.

My Review: 

I picked up this book because it was sitting on my shelf for wayyyy too long and I had to read it. To be honest I was not excited going into the book coz for some reason I thought it will be too young for my taste and I might not enjoy it. But to my total surprise, I don't know when i started enjoying it and found my self laughing out loud on more than one occasion.

The book is about Ruby Oliver aka Roo, who goes to Tate High School with her best friend Kim and other friends Nora and Cricket. She is semi popular and loves her boyfriend Jackson. But then her perfect world starts to crumble when Jackson dumps her for Kim (Yes! her best friend!) and she starts having panic attacks. She goes into therapy and for strictly therapeutic reasons, find herself making list of her 15 boyfriends (real or not) and along the way she gets to know who she is and what really matters to her.

I loved Roo! She was far from perfect and makes lots of mistakes but then again that's how a teenager is, and that's the reason i find her so relatable. She is insecure, great at talking, intelligent and very ordinary looking. If i was still 15, there is no doubt in my mind that Ruby would be my best friend!

This book was very therapeutic for me. I kept asking myself the questions, that Doctor Z asks Ruby which ultimately gave me a better understanding about myself. (Or so I think!)

I recommend this book to every female on this planet earth and beyond. It was an eye opener for me and I cant wait to read more of Ruby Oliver books.

The Good:

  • The book is hilarious. I laughed and giggled almost through out the read.
  • To me at least the book gives a message of hope. That after all the crap that happens to you. You can still come out of it feeling okay.
  • It is a really fun read and super cute in places.
  • Ruby! She is my soul sister!
  • Some really crush worthy guys *winks*
  • The lists! All the lists not just the boyfriend one. 
The Bad: 

  • Not really a flaw in the book, but i freaking hate Kim Yamamoto!
  • Well i am a sucker for tears and i didn't cry.
Overall: 4 and a two thumbs up!

Writing: 4/5
Plot: 3/5
Characters: 5/5
Romance: 3/5
LoL Moments: 4/5
Cover: 4/5

Favorite Quote:  
 “I hate those endless descriptions of a heroine's physical attributes . . . it really bothers me how in books it seems like the only two choices are perfection or self-hatred. As if readers will only like a character who's ideal--or completely shattered.”

Favorite Character: Ruby Oliver, Noel DuBoise and Gideon Van Deusen



No comments:

Post a Comment