Thursday 9 February 2012

Book Review: The Future of Us by Jay Asher, Carolyn Mackler

Book: The Future of Us - Jay Asher, Carolyn Mackler


Publishing Date: November 21st 2011


Read from February 01 to 03, 2012


Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Contemporary


Goodreads Summary:


It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long - at least, up until last November, when Josh did something that changed everything. Things have been weird between them ever since, but when Josh's family gets a free AOL CD in the mail,his mom makes him bring it over so that Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto their Facebook pages. But Facebook hasn't been invented yet. And they're looking at themselves fifteen years in the future.

By refreshing their pages, they learn that making different decisions now will affect the outcome of their lives later. And as they grapple with the ups and downs of what their futures hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right - and wrong - in the present.

My View:

I won't lie to you, my expectations from this book was HUGE!! Reasons for that are: I love previous books of the authors. Thirteen Reasons Why and The Earth, My Butt and Other Big Round Things both are one of my favorites plus the plot just sounded so amazing. 

The story is about Josh and Emma, two friends who accidentally find themselves on the internet in future via Facebook. I mean the idea is genius and I loved it!

The book was so much more than I can describe it. Initially, I thought it will be just about the Facebook or future thing but it had many layers to it. I enjoyed the book and loved it. The characters seemed real and the setting was fabulous. 

The Good:

  • The IDEA! It was just genius and so so awesome. I like science fiction books and I love contemporary books. This was two in one.
  • The writing was easy and enjoyable. I just didn't wanted to put the book down.
  • The whole concept of the ripples was amazing. It played like a mysterious element to me.
  • The whole 90's nostalgia! I did actually got my first computer in 1996, I was eight then but I remember. I remember the dial ups and having a e-mail address that time was such a big deal.
  • The characters! I loved Josh, another crush worthy character and I know a lot of people hated Emma but I sort of get her too and I liked her. She was flawed but likable. 
  • I said it on another review, but I love books that have alternating point of views.
  • The music and movies references. Dave Mathews Band, Greenday (Dookie!),  Alanis Morissette and Oasis (I still listen to wonderwall all the time!).
The Bad:
  • I really wanted to know more about Kellen and Tyson. 
Overall: 4.5 and a double thumbs up!
Writing: 4/5
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 4/5
Romance: 3/5
LoL Moments: 3/5
Cover: 4/5

Favorite Quote: “When the right moment appears, the key is to not let it pass.”

Favorite Character: Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment