Thursday 26 January 2012

Book Review: The One That I Want by Jennifer Echols

Book: The One That I Want - Jennifer Echols

Publishing Date: December 6th 2011

Read from January 21 to 23, 2012

Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance

Goodreads Summary:


Gemma can’t believe her luck when the star football player starts flirting with her. Max is totally swoon-worthy, and even gets her quirky sense of humor. So when he asks out her so-called best friend Addison, Gemma’s heartbroken.

Then Addison pressures Gemma to join the date with one of Max’s friends. But the more time they all spend together, the harder Gemma falls for Max. She can’t help thinking that Max likes her back—it’s just too bad he’s already dating Addison. How can Gemma get the guy she wants without going after her best friend’s boyfriend?

My View: 

Boy oh boy! I don't know how will I justify my ratings and comments about this book. The book was not very original, nor the subject matter was very interesting. I just read Keeping the Moon, which sort of have the same subject but  Keeping the Moon was a lot serious than this one.

The One That I Want is about Gemma, who is still trying to figure out who she really is. Her only friend or so-called friend is Addison, who is always mean to her. Gemma has lost a whole bunch of weight and has just made it to the majorette team. At majorette camp Gemma and Addison come across Max and Carter, from a rival school who are their for football camp. 

Gemma is instantly attracted to Max, the guy who was staring at her while she practiced her majorette routine. But then Max asks Addison out even though Gemma and Max has this incredible connection. To make the matters worse Gemma is stuck with Carter, who is dull and boring.

Normally, this is not the kind of book I like but i really enjoyed this one. The characters were nice and the writing was addictive. I loved Max, he was so swoon worthy.

Even though the story was not new, I would still recommend this book to anyone because of Echols writing.  

The Good:

  • As i said already, the writing was just amazing, addictive, easy to read and very good. 
  • I loved Gemma, her attitude, her purple streaks, her insecurities and her relationship with Addison. (I have had that friend!)
  • Max oh Max. Max was funny, charming and very very sexy. I loved the fact that he was Japanese.
  • The interaction between Gemma and Max was frustrating but funny and sweet.
The Bad:
  • I hated Addison. Addison was mean, shallow and self centered and I wanted to choke her. 
  • It was predictable but cute nonetheless. 
  • I wanted more of Delilah and Robert.
Overall: 4 and a thumbs up!

Writing: 4/5
Plot: 3/5
Characters: 4/5
Romance: 4/5
LoL Moments: 3.5/5
Cover: 3.5/5

Favorite Character: Max and Gemma 

No comments:

Post a Comment